Wednesday, August 25, 2010

#12 - Corn Fritters

Challenge 12: Cook 100 New Recipe Dishes
Recipe: Corn Fritters
(Recipe: 3/100)

{ 08.25.2010 - Eleanor's Kitchen - Corn Fritters }
{ From: The Best Ever 30-Minute Cookbook p. 331}

Makes 12


Ingredients:
    3 corn cobs, total weight about 250g/9oz (I used 9oz frozen corn)
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    a small bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
    1 small fresh red or green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
    1 spring onion (scallion), finely chopped
    15ml/1 tbsp soy sauce
    75g/30z/0.75 cup rice flour or plain (all-purpose) flour
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    60 ml/4 tbsp water
    oil for shallow-frying
    salt and ground black pepper
    sweet chilli sauce, to serve

  1. Using a sharp knife, slice the kernels from the cobs using downward strokes. Rinse to remove any clinging debris from the cob and place in a bowl.
  2. Add the garlic, chopped coriander, red or green chilli, spring onion, soy sauce, flour, beaten eggs and water to the corn and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix again. The mixture should be firm enough to hold its shape, but not stiff. 
  3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add spoonfuls of the corn mixture, gently spreading each one out with the back of the spoon to make a roundish fritter. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
  4. Drain the first batch of fritters on kitchen paper and keep hot on a foil covered dish while frying more in the same way. Serve the fritters hot with sweet chilli sauce - arrange on a large plate around the sauce, if you like.

It's amazing that I had time to cook. I'm getting used to my busy schedule that I've finally mastered how to go on with my week and still have time for a little cooking and grocery shopping. Nonetheless, the recipe above was absolutely delish. Dre couldn't get enough of it. I'm pretty pleased. Satisfying his taste buds make me happy. For the sweet chili sauce, I used Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce that can be bought pretty much anywhere or in oriental stores. But yes, I will cook this recipe again. I loved it.

So anyway, below are some pictures from the going away ice cream party (for some friends) at Auntie Mila's house. The containers used are a special kind of bento box set - a Japanese food container. They're so cute. One day I hope to own my own set.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment