Monday, July 11, 2011

The Miracle of Russian Cooking
#12 Baked Potatoes & Mushrooms


On our vacation to Ukraine last September 2010, I fell in love with the Russian Cuisine. Dre's mom spoiled us with delicious Russian and eastern European food that sent my taste buds to a happy place far beyond my imagination. I savored each bite, tasted every flavor of such exotic miracle to my taste buds. I was determined to find a bookstore to purchase a genuine Russian cookbook. At the bookstore the sales lady thought I spoke Russian and I was Dre's translator. We got a kick out of that. But nonetheless, I finally cooked something from the cookbook, per Dre's request, the baked potatoes with mushrooms. I can read what is written but I can't translate it, so my darling husband dictated in English while I typed out the recipe. On the recipe, I added the cheese since it didn't call for it; I also used less potatoes and more eggs... but it was delicious in all of its wonders. The family loved it - it was a hit!

Baked Potatoes With Mushrooms
(Serves 12)

INGREDIENTS
  • 6 Eggs
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 4-5 medium sized potatoes
  • 1 Onion Chopped
  • 2 packages sliced mushrooms
  • Green Onions or Parsley
  • 4 tbsp Butter
  • Olive Oil
  • Shredded Cheese (optional)
  • Chives
  • Salt to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Peel the potatoes and boil until tender. 
  2. In a large pan melt the butter and saute the onions and mushrooms. Add chopped green onions (or parsley) and caramelize for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste. Once cooked, set aside.
  3. Cool potatoes and cut in thin slices. Set aside.
  4. In a glass or metal bake-ware, coat the base with a thin layer of olive oil. Place a layer of potatoes to the base. On top of the potatoes, place a layer of the caramelized onions and mushrooms. Place a layer of cheese on top of the onions and mushrooms, then once again layer with the remaining potatoes. Place a layer of cheese on top of the potatoes.
  5. In a separate bowl, mix eggs and milk. Add a tsp of salt. Pour the eggs and milk mix to the dish. Sprinkle chives on top. Cook in the oven at 350 for 50 minutes.

Last night we invited my family for dinner. I love having dinner parties - even if its simple and even if it's just with the family. On the menu was pot roast, mashed potatoes, the baked Russian Dish (I call it Russian Quiche/Fritata), and mom brought a plantain dish and an eggplant dish (not pictured). It was an excellent dinner and I got great reviews on the Russian dish.


{ Photo provided by my HTC mobile }

Below are pictures of some of the food we had in Ukraine. Many are the dishes that Mama (Dre's mom) cooked. The other pictures are from the grocery store. Great food, excellent family time, good times, great memories. I miss Ukraine.

{ Our first meal in Ukraine at our rented flat. Mama cooked the delicious food }










{ At the grocery store }
 


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment