Friday, September 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

{ Challenge 12 : Recipe 20/100 }
Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Yesterday I cooked pot-roast for dinner. LITERALLY the easiest pot-roast dish to cook. It was also my very first attempt to at what seemed to be a complicated crock pot dish. Basically just chuck all the ingredients together in a crock pot, leave it to cook for 3-8 hours (depending on the setting and how many pounds the roast) and you're all set until it's time for dinner. SIMPLE! The beef was so juicy and tender... MMMmmm.... and the sauce... double MMMmmm.

A few setbacks when I cooked this dish. The recipe called for one pouch of dry onion mix. The bag boy at the grocery store didn't bag this item (it was on the receipt) so I had to dig our pantry for possible substitutions. I ended up adding 2 beef bouillon, whatever was left (half a cup) of our French's Fried Onions, and one medium sized onion, diced. Also, the 5 1/2 pounds of beef was GInormous, so I opted for the 3.5 pounder slab of roast which shrank once cooked. The recipe is rather good and extremely easy to make. I will make it again in the future should we host a dinner party.

This recipe also taught me not to be intimidated of my crock pot. I love this recipe and I will cook more slow cooker recipes in the future.


Slow Cooker Pot Roast

Ingredients 

2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 1/4 cups water
5 1/2 pounds pot roast

4 potatoes cut in cubes
1 cup of baby carrots

 

Directions

  1. In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture. Submerge potatoes and carrots.
  2. Cover and cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment