Friday, March 21, 2014

Minced Beef Wellington

I used Veggie Crumbles for this recipe instead of ground beef.
Next time I make it, it will be the real meat.

 


Due to how the puff pastry defrosted, I couldn't roll it like the
recipe describes. Instead, I placed the stuffing in the middle, brought
in two sides of the pastry and sealed it at the top and at the sides.
It still turned our rather well.

The first time I tasted Beef Wellington was at my friends' wedding reception circa 2012. It had a crunchy outside and a moist meat inside. I always wanted to duplicate the dish, and even though my version could never top what I had at that reception, I finally got a chance to attempt cooking it a couple of nights ago. I made it vegetarian (Griller Crumbles instead of ground beef) so that my mother could taste it.

This recipe wasn't bad, considering the use of vegetarian meat - my husband loved it. His exact quote, "I will be asking you to make this often!" -- Next time I make it, I'll use REAL LEAN meat. It will taste loads better. Can not wait to cook it again - perhaps next month. 

Here is my take on Oh Sweet Day's Minced Beef Wellington.

Minced Beef Wellington
By Oh Sweet Day
Serving Size: 6
INGREDIENTS
1 medium onion
1 carrot
1 stick of celery
1 potato
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
2 tablespoon thyme
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 lb good quality minced beef
salt and pepper to taste
500 g puff pastry

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat over to 350F.
  2. Peel and chop the onion, carrot, celery and potato into one centimeter cubes.
  3. Place all vegetables, rosemary leaves, and thyme into a frying pan with olive oil. Fry and stir for about 8 minutes or until vegetables soften and color.
  4. Put vegetables into large bowl to cool completely.
  5. Add the minced beef to the bowl with salt and pepper and half the egg. Scrunch together.
  6. Roll out pastry to size of small tea towel.
  7. Place mince mix along one long side, in sausage shape.
  8. Brush edges of pastry with egg and roll pastry to cover mince completely. Squeeze ends together.
  9. Put onto baking tray, brush with remaining egg. Bake for an hour until golden.Slice and serve with gravy.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment